Take Care of Yourself

Sometimes the expression take care of yourself is used just to fill space.  Other times it is said with sincerity.  Most people can tell the difference when someone says it to you.

It is a day that rolls around once a year for many and they post remembrances on social media.  While I was talking with my therapist this week, I brought up how anxiety is often a feeling I have this time of year.  As distance in time grows between 9/11 and present day, some of the anxiety dissipates and I have more tools to work with it.

Self-care is an important part of life; physically, mentally, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually.  Today I took part in a great event that was aimed at inspiring mind/body/spiritual health through fitness and exercise while embracing a local neighborhood's history, culture and sense of community.  This was an opportunity to raise the importance of self-care.

"When you say 'yes' to others, make sure you aren't saying 'no' to yourself."- Paulo Coelho

A short list of possible ways to practice self-care:

  • write in a daily journal
  • start a compliments file
  • unplug from technology devices (phones, computers, tablets) for 1 hour every day
  • move the body every day by stretching in all ranges of motion
  • eat clean, healthy foods 80% of the time, indulge the other 20%
  • breathe and meditate
  • belly laugh
  • check in with your own emotions
  • ask for help

So as I was walking out of therapy, she said, take care of yourself this weekend.  And I will.

Need a nudge in creating self-care?